Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Monday, January 9, 2012

Traslacion 2012 - Quiapo Fiesta


It was a traslacion like no other! Days before the Quiapo fiesta 2012, media had predicted 8-10 million pax in attendance. The "traslacion" is a term used to describe the transfer of the image of the Black Nazarene from its original altar in Intramuros to the main altar in Quiapo Church. I'm not going into the history of that. I've written about it in an earlier blog! 


I was up at 3:30 a.m. as I had made arrangements with friends to attend the Mass after the all-night vigil. We were at the Quirino Grandstand area at 5:30 a.m. and jostled for a suitable location to be able to view the widescreen. By then, devotees were starting to arrive. The Mass was ushered in by fireworks from the area of the Manila Hotel. Security was particularly tight since there was a threat to disrupt the fiesta celebrations. Threat or no threat... a gazillion devotees remained unfazed!


Mass over, we headed for our usual spot by the National Museum near the Lagusnilad. For many years past, we usually bide our time conversing with fellow devotees before the carriage of the Nazarene passed by. This year is so different from the past years. Usually, by noon, the procession would be going by our spot and we'd have lunch at some restaurant nearby.


I'm glad, I had the chance to eat 2 ham sandwiches for breakfast. After Mass, a friend handed out some pan de sal with slices of spam. I also brought my own mint water with honey to tide me over for the wait. Thank God for my foresight!!!! It was nearly 4:15 when the image of the Black Nazarene cleared P. Burgos street.


The waiting was punctuated with human interest stories of why devotees flock to the fiesta every 9th of January. Petitions granted by the Nazarene come a-plenty. I'm just there to give thanks and praise. One devotee I interviewed is 22 years of age. He has been a "mamamasan" (shoulder lifter, literally) since he was 13. No less than ex-VP Noli de Castro has noted that devotees have increased over the years... and they get younger and younger.


While waiting, news came to us that the back tire of carriage of the image suffered a flat before it even reached the Manila Hotel area. Then by the time it reached the Planetarium, both tires at the back had given out. Ergo, masses of barefoot men had to bear the weight of the carriage and pushed while others holding on to the ropes pulled with all their might. Efforts to load the image on a flatbed were met with derision. Devotees clambered on to the truck to prevent that from happening.


Injuries are expected from the millions of people who trek to the traslacion. If you've never experienced it, imagine a can of sardines... but with people instead of fish... there's men in all stages of disheveled states... barely enough breathing space in between. So If you're wary of your personal space being invaded... stay home and pray.  This scene is NOT for you!


I literally had to climb a tree and cling on for dear life as the procession passed by. That's how I got the "money shots" for my fiesta album. I'm there every year and it seems I never get tired of taking photos. My devotion to the Nazarene is as deep as everybody else's. It just so happens that when I talk to the people there I begin to see that their needs come before my own... I realize that I am indeed truly blessed!


So as the procession passes by I am awed by the immense faith of our countrymen... inspired by their religious fervor... and thankful for the graces i receive every day. Some naysayers lambast this as fanaticism.   I would think it's a local manifestation of their faith. As I leave for home, I pray for the millions like me who have to brave the rest of the festivities. Because this one was perhaps the longest and most laborious procession I've ever attended, I consider this the "Mother of all Traslacions"!


The latest report I got was that the image of the Black Nazarene was to be conveyed directly to the Quiapo Church since its faulty carriage was delaying the procession. But the devotees would not hear of it! The image was successfully brought into the church at 6 a.m. the following morning, 10 January. See you next year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment