Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Eve/ 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!!!! It is hoped that 2012 brings less natural disasters, more liquidity, happier times, a higher sense of well-being, a more conscientious government, a reduced foreign debt, less traffic, higher employment, increased tourism both inbound and outbound. What more can I ask for?


For the most part of 31 December, I spent the day in doors... in the kitchen specifically. I was up early, did my chores and got home a little before lunch. I had a little brunch  and started to feel sleepy. Took a nap. Then when I got up, it was nearly four p.m. 


I started prepping for my Media Noche, which wasn't really much. I had bought some herbs and spices the day before and then started slaving away. This year was a little more complicated than the past Christmases with my brother. It's pretty difficult to figure out if he would taste my cooking. For him, any meal is fried chicken and rice...


I started preparing the Asian spring rolls with rice paper wrappers that lends its translucent quality to show off the herbs of Thai basil and mint incorporated in the rolls. I included shrimp, vermicelli, bell pepper, chives and shredded carrots. The rolls are slatered with a asian dip of chilli flakes, patis and vinegar. It's very easy to do once you get into the rythmn of  assembling all the ingredients and getting the rice paper wet. If you let it wait to long the wrapper starts to stick to your plate.


I then cooked the ham in its pineapple sauce with some salt, pepper and some brown sugar. I added some water and slowly reduced the liquid over very low heat just so i don't waste any time. Thinly sliced the ham and let it caramelize over the sweet sticky liquid. that took about 2 hours to cook for a pound of ham. It's perfect with a slab of Marca Pato queso de bola on white bread slathered with good old mayo!


Next came the cream dory with parsley breading. Slice the fillet into "fingers". Dip into beaten egg to bind the breading mix into the fillets. The parsley should be finely chopped and set aside. Once the fillets have been dipped into egg dredge into the parsley and then dip into egg and dredge in the bread crumbs. Panko will work well with it too. Then fry the fish slivers until golden brown. Be sure to drain off excess oil on paper towels. Serve with sprigs of herbs ans sauce tartare or plain ketchup.


I used crushed Graham crackers and butter for the crumb crust of the apple tarts. Cream cheese, condensed milk and all-purpose cream were mixed and allowed to emulsify. Then I filled the small tart pans with my apple concoction of fresh apples, cinnamon and brown sugar. Top with the cream and  chill in the freezer. Then I made a no-bake cherry cheesecake with store-bought Oreo crust (why complicate life, huh?). Filled in the crust with the cheesecake and topped with canned cherry filling. To the freezer it goes! That was it!

By the time I had finished, it was nearly ten p.m. and I had to get ready for the fireworks and the merry-making. Just in the nick of time.

Enjoy 2012!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment