Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Glorious Food!!!

I know I gained a little weight! It all started during the holiday season. You don't understand!!! I've been a ballet dancer most of my life... gaining weight is tantamount to MORTAL SIN!!!!  I may not be rotundly fat, but I get bothered when I gain a few inches here and there. I know what they say about loving yourself... being comfortable in your own skin... embracing who you are...yaddah, yaddah, yaddah!


Well that won't work for me. It all started during the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. December 12th was a festive day. I heard Mass and after that I was famished. I didn't know anyone in the area so I ended up having dinner at Chic-Boy! It's a diminutive for two words: chicken at baboy (pork). This restaurant amazes me since it doesn't make pretensions at being high-end. It's grill all with different concoctions and one has a choice of unlimited rice with their order or you can just order by the serving. I had a Tuna sisig (sizzling hot plate dish of tuna sautee with a sunny side up and siding of clear broth of clam and mussel and swamp spinach in garlic.


Then I made a Christmas eve repast. Simple but very yummy, indeed. What can I say? Christmas only comes once a year! And then, I did the rounds of parties and accepted some invites from friends and neighbors. I repeated the cooking mania for new years eve...and I can go on and on...


1 January is my mother and father's wedding anniversary. Do I need another excuse to create a culinary treat? NO!!! Then January 9 was the feast day of the Black Nazarene. I made some sort of sacrifice to limit my eating for that day but I did get to eat two pieces of musubi since I was dehydrated and  hungry when I got home after the record-breaking pace of the Nazarene procession.


Then Sarita treated our group to a lunch of oysters at Rockefeller. How does one resist fresh seafood all cooked just right... juicy, salty sweet, and not rubbery at all? Impossible! Read my previous blog on the food we ate if it pleases you. In one of our gatherings at June Rectos house, his cousin surprises us with lechon bread. It's really just a "monay" baked in the shape of a roast pig but with some bits of ham and a cocktail sausage stuffed in its mouth pretending to be its tongue.



Then Last Sunday, 15 January,  Mother June and I went to Tondo for the feast of the Sto. Nino. After hearing Mass in Quiapo, we got hungry and headed for New Toho in Dasmarinas street in Escolta. This particular morning we feasted on Rellenong Hipon, Lettuce Spring Roll, Lechon Kawali, and Shanghai Fried Rice. Not that I regret eating it, food is fooood after all... but I wish I had relented a bit. 



That can only mean I'm getting guilt trips on my  enjoyment of food... Am I losing it? Finally, today I suddenly had a tour with Filipino balik-bayan guests. After a few hours of touring Intramuros, one of them gets hungry and asks about where they can get some merienda. I of course, point them in the direction of Ristorante del Mitre where they started with Sans Rival. Then my guests decided to try the turon (banana wrapped in  filo and fried) which was ordered twice. Pansit guisado followed and then two orders of 8" pizzas. One had an order of squid cooked adobo style and garnished with slices of lemon.


Will I ever stop to think and control the binge? Geez... I gotta wake up early  tomorrow and work out! Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment