Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Designing for E-dance

I was halfway to Ortigas last night when I got a text message from friend Katrina Santos-Mercado that the costume parade was cancelled since the costumes I designed were still undergoing finishing touches. What's a person to do in such an instance? why head for the nearest shop and do exactly that... I ended up with a couple of purchases which I don't regret =).

the e-dance corps in rehearsals

So today, I sent a text message to Katrina if the costume parade was going to push through. I got an affirmative response. So i hurriedly got dressed and then I headed for the LRT station got off at EDSA and took the MRT to Shangri-la Plaza Mall. I had to stay there a couple of minutes till dancer Jopie picked me up to bring me to the studio.

waiting for their cue
We got there around 7ish and wasted no time to try on the costumes as Joy Matubis (costume supplier) had been waiting for us already. The costumes turned out well! Gerard Mercado choreographed a tribute to our mentor and friend the late Noordin Jumalon. Gerard agreed to the designs I created but had a few questions regarding the sequence for which to wear them. Eventually, who should pop in but Pam and Jon Santos who were on their way to an evening out with friends. Pam is a dear friend I worked with during my stint at the Ayala Museum. Jon is well-known visual artist and younger brother to Katrina.

e-dance soloist

The design dilemma for Gerard's choreography had been settled and as I hunkered down to chat a while, in comes Joy bidding her leave. I had to rush out and say my goodbyes as well to Gerard and Katrina as I needed a ride back to Manila since Pasig is not a fun destination during the Christmas season. I failed to take photos of my design but there seems to be an air of mystery to my costumes.  It is for a requiem. Ergo, the costumes are in black. That much I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment