Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Saturday, December 10, 2016

PAWIKAN PAGEANTRY



I was invited to be a judge for the Pawikan Turtle) Festival for a second year in a row. This was a thrill I wouldn't want to turn down. Specially because I was one of the resource persons tapped to lecture on costume design and production two years ago.


Amy Canares of the Bataan Tourism Council and Nilo Agustin of the Department of Tourism tapped me as one of the judges in a panel composed of Nonoy Froilan, Ato del Rosario, Nilo Agustin, Arman Sta. Ana and myself. However, because of conflicting schedules, Nonoy Froilan and Nilo Agustin couldn't make it so they were replaced by Rodel Fronda and Peter de Vera.



I was in Pampanga earlier in the morning of the 26th of November  to be with my Advocates for Heritage Preservation family (see my Pampanga post). I had to cut it short so I could take the bus to Balanga, Bataan and meet with my hosts. By 1:00 p.m. I was dropped off at the Robinson's Mall I San Fernando, Pampanga so I could take the bus to Mariveles, Bataan and get off at the Bataan Tourism Office in Balanga. I was at the tourism office by 4:00 p.m. then I was whisked off to my home for the evening in a resort along the coastline of Morong, Bataan.



Bataan has an organization of resorts and hotels which take turns in hosting special guests for the Pawikan Festival. This year's host was the Phi Phi Beach Resort, After the obligatory check-in procedures, I was ushered to my room facing the ocean. It was past sunset so everything was dark but the sound of the waves was unmistakably clear and loud. Then I was off to dreamland,,, I had missed the night watch to witness the turtles digging their nests to deliver eggs after which they return to the ocean never seeing their offspring ever again.



I was up early in the morning to get ready for the Pawikan Festival. Festivities last the whole day but one of the activities was the Street Dancing Competition which starts at nine a.m. After a hearty breakfast, we headed to the venue. People had come from near and far. Families came with their kids to watch the hatchlings and some adults released into the wild.  The Governor of Bataan and most of the Mayors were present. Congresswoman Geraldine Roman was present too. The Tourism sector was represented by Undersecretary Benito  Bengson who accepted a plaque of appreciation for Secretary Wanda Teo .


To see these creatures wiggling to be free was just amazing! The other activities included were the Body Painting Competition, Beach Volleyball, and the Ceremonial Releasing of the turtles. Many years ago, locals were stealing the turtle eggs for their high protein content and served as meals or sold as souvenirs to unwitting tourists. Thankfully, people have become aware of preserving these creatures.



This year's Street Dancing competition was an improvement from last year's. The story boards were clearer and "tighter". The productions were cleaner. However, on some instances, the execution would suffer from inconsistencies in  terms of costume and music. There were only 11 participants out of the 12 towns of Bataan. In some performances, I can recall parts of costumes from last year that have been rehashed perhaps due to budget constraints. I am surprised that expenses for these production numbers were subsidized by the province's tourism committee. And so on the day of the event, eleven towns competed with a contingent of  25-30 members doing a 10 minute dance number that captures this year's theme: One Bataan in Saving the Pawikan!



The province realizes the potential for tourism that the conservation of these gentle creatures bring. It has now become so popular among wildlife enthusiasts to go to Morong on weekends and experience the process of egg laying of these turtles during egg laying season. Even beyond the day of the festival, interested parties may visit the Pawikan Conservation Center and do a night watch. They have a website and email address where you can coordinate with them if you plan to witness this exciting natural event. I plan to visit again next year and witness what I missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment