Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

SCOTTY'S CRIB

Scotty's home

Alright, call me a dinosaur... jurassic even! I don't care. I was in Sagada recently for a tour with some guests from the Netherlands and they were literally quite impressed with the grand vistas that the Cordilleras afforded them. But there is always one special spot in Sagada that will always be close to my heart.

a remembrance from the UP students and staff
Whenever I get the opportunity, I visit the usual tourist spots that the area has. The burial caves, the hanging coffins...these are all standard for visitors there. This time around I got to visit the home of my idol and former professor, William Henry Scott.

The library
Scotty, as he was fondly called by those who knew him, lived in Sagada among the proud peoples of the Cordillera mountain range. He was a very learned, erudite and scholarly researcher and professor who knew how to motivate his students to dig deeper as far as historical facts were concerned. He was my professor as I was pursuing a degree in History at the University of the Philippines, College of Arts and Sciences in Manila. Needless to say, Scotty was my favorite professor! He just brought out the best in his students. And so, I responded by getting A's in his exams. 


I was fortunate this time around to get into the home he left behind to his adopted son/companion, Miguel Talanay.  Mr Talanay lives in the A-frame house with his pet dogs and he now holds the position of treasurer for the cooperative store. He was gracious enough to let me take a peek into Scotty's crib. 

Living room shot
I was teary eyed when I walked into the library where Scotty once wrote his essays and his research papers. All of a sudden, memories of my days at the university came rushing back. We often kidded that Scotty had an uncanny resemblance to Albert Einstein. It ends there.  But his insights into the Cordillera culture and its people have left an indelible mark on his students of Philippine history.

Mr. Talanay in the living room


In hindsight, I think the stuff I learned from him are the things I remember most. I am a proud Filipino! It's strange... it was an American who taught me that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment