Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Monday, January 27, 2014

Recess and Nano's

Like I always emphatically stress on this site. This is not a food blog!

Nano's interiors
But since food is part of culture I manage to squeeze in an article or two of nice food I've tried in Manila's ever evolving restaurant scene. Two restaurants I've tried recently are so diametrically opposed in price range, I'm amazed both serve almost the same type of cuisine.

Pizza with bacon at Nano's
I was in the vicinity of SM Manila one fine Wednesday to pay for my real estate taxes. I was famished and decided to go to the mall next door to sate my hunger pangs. Lunchtime is always busy at SM Manila. I did find a restaurant that wasn't too crowded. NANO's!

Tuna pasta at Nano's

They serve Italian food. They have a variety of pizzas which one can order per slice. A wedge of pizza costs as low as P65.00. I was curious as well as hungry so I went inside the restaurant and decided to have a full lunch which consisted of Tuna pasta al' Olio, a slice of pizza. It was filling. Not necessarily extra ordinary. But if you're hungry, that'll do. and for a price point of PhP200.00++ for a full meal and soda to boot. I'd say... not too shabby!

Crackers with cheese dip at Recess
Then I visited this new restaurant along Jupiter street in Makati. Recess by Chef Chris is on its soft opening. But I found the staff to be quite attentive and they have a good grasp of product knowledge. A diner can ask them questions on the menu and they'd be happy to reply as best they can. Chef Chris was also doing the rounds of tables asking diners if everything was in order.

Recess interiors
It's a well appointed brownstone. An open counter is located at the far end and a semi-secluded bar is situated at the right side as one enters the establishment. The food is a lot pricier compared to Nano's and more flavorful. The pizza has freshly rolled out dough and the portions of arugula and alfalfa sprouts were hearty enough to be rolled into the slices. the dip was also well seasoned and tasty.


Steak at Recess
The bowl of chilli I had was perfectly spiced and the freshly baked bread i dipped in it was quite heavy and had a nice crust and crunch. The steak my partner ordered was large and the gravy that went with it was thick and salty. I tried it as well... it was good! My only issue with Recess by Chef Chris was that for meals for two people they charged more than a thousand pesos, which if you really think about it, isn't affordably priced for the common "tao". It's a lot more expensive! But hey, you get what you pay for...

Bowl of Chilli at Recess

No comments:

Post a Comment