Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Day in Court

DLSU 's Jeron Teng
Don't get the wrong notion... I'm not getting sued! I just spent an entire afternoon at the FilOil Arena watching a basketball game between De La Salle University and South Western University. Now, I'm not much of a team sports person except for the fact that I did play varsity volleyball when I was in high school and college, I was more into individual sports like tennis, badminton and swimming. I was quite competitive and yes,  I was actively dancing until my thirties. But I'm not totally a nincompoop as far as basketball is concerned.

DLSU's Van Opstal in a dunk shot
So an invite from a friend to watch the game between DLSU and SWU was a welcome deviation from my daily routine. Alright, I confess I had to wear green! Just to blend in, though. I'm amazed at the high level of school spirit displayed by these kids from the more exclusive universities. They came in droves just to cheer their favorite players on. i came for a slightly different reason. I wanted to take photos!

what a rebound
And shoot photos I did! I had a heyday with all the live action I was taking in. It didn't take long, though, before I realized this was going to be a lopsided game. Notwithstanding the fact that SWU are champions in the Visayas region (CESAFI), the DLSU team made mincemeat out of the poor guests. I'd hate to say it... this went down horribly for the visiting team. Still and all, they put up a valiant front relying on their imports and on Francis Ortega.

SWU's Ortega
The archers were fast and furious eventually piling on point after point so by the time the buzzer went off for half time, it was obvious who's way the game was going. So I was glad the DLSU pep squad was there to sort of add some more entertainment value. I always tend to root a little for the underdog just to give them some credit. Mercifully, the SWU guys were great sportsmen. They gave it their best shot. So thanks for coming to Manila, guys!

DLSU's Torres

This early, you get an idea of just how strong the DLSU team is going to be for the next UAAP season. Pretty sure they're raring to take a shot at the championship. If Jerry Pingoy has to sit out two years of his playing years, they are gonna give the Blue eagles a run for their money. I just found out ADMU lost to UST in the following game which I didn't watch... Careful now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment