Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Full Moon Over Amici

Full moon on a Holy Wednesday
It's not a new restaurant! It's been around a long time and I've always liked going there when I'm in the area and I'm craving for an authentic Italian Pizza. I was there with friends when we were together over the lenten season. Holy Wednesday, to be exact.


It used to be a small family owned restaurant that catered to mothers and nannies who were waiting for their kids and wards while the kids were in school. It occupied a small portion of the corner lot right beside the Don Bosco Libreria. It has been renovated over the years, though. I didn't recognize it at first. the cafeteria style lay-out had been upgraded. The stations are still there. But the kitchen areas have been relegated to a back kitchen except for the pizza oven which would have been an effort to transfer to another spot.


Since then, Amici has grown immensely. They now have a branch in Greenhills which I have yet to visit if only to check on the quality control of their food. So far, on this visit to the Don Bosco branch, I still wasn't disappointed. 


We ordered a dish of Salmon Carbonara. It was light and creamy despite the cream sauce. The chunks of salmon were delightfully flaky and the skin was a bit crispy. The bread sticks were just right for dipping into the sauce while the pasta was al dente'd to perfection.


The pizzas we had were of two varieties: the quatro formaggio and the pepperoni. Both were obviously baked in wood fired ovens. The crusts had singe marks on the edges and was as thin as they could possibly be. I kept sprinkling chilli flakes on my pizza slices as I want my pizza hot and salty. 


The pepperoni pizza had nice bits and chunks of meat on it. It had porto bello mushroom slices as well that added to the flavor of the pizza. The quattro formaggio had stringy bits of cheese which I enjoyed. particularly because some of the parts were toasted almost burnt. Yeah, I know... I'm weird that way...


No comments:

Post a Comment