Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Reminiscing



A year ago today, I was in a tizzy. It was the very first time the Mabuhay Guides would be fielded in a major event. This was the acid test! The M.I.C.E. (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions, Exhibitions) Mart was a big project mounted by the PCVC. M.I.C.E. Mart is periodically held with the end in view of attracting tour operators/ travel agents to visit the Philippines as a destination for the purposes the MICE acronym stands for.

At least a dozen Mabuhay Guides were assigned to showcase the best that the country has to offer and to ensure that all the foreign guests got the impression that we were competent, efficient guides who were ready for anything. Still, the MICE Mart had a few hitches... Nothing that was not resolved immediately. As the participants left early for their dream destinations, they were issued recycled tarpaulin overnight bags from R.O.X. which they brought with them for the weekend. Each and every activity gave them the opportunity to enjoy the sites and sounds of the Philippines to the max.

Fortunately, the event was a huge success and most, if not all the participants thoroughly enjoyed their stay. And why shouldn't they? The dream destinations included in their itineraries included Boracay, Bella Roca Resort, El Nido, Cebu, Subic amongst others.



Mid-July saw the Mabuhay Guides in action once again showing Intramuros to over a hundred scholars of the Department of Science and Technology. This event was organized by Mabuhay Guide Helen Aranda with the guides offering their services pro-bono. This was our way of "giving back" to the country for all the privileges we've been given. It was a rush guiding young students around the walled city knowing that we were inspiring them and giving them cause to be proud Filipinos.



Then after that, I got to squeeze in a tour of Binondo with, of all people, Melissa Ramos' boss. This tour was very memorable for me... it was the first time I recieved gratuity for a job well-done. I was so inspired by it I never cashed the cheque that was given to me. That same cheque is posted on my bulletin board in my room to remind me that the best reward in being a Mabuhay Guide is the appreciation of my guests for having given them a great time.



Well, a year has passed... another one lies ahead. The memories and experiences of travelling within Manila and its environs as well as the smells, sights and sounds of the provinces we have visited as Mabuhay Guides are so vividly etched in my mind that all I need do is close my eyes and recall... And that's enough to make me smile...

Don't worry, I'll be sharing some of the best places we've been to in my next blogs...Abangan!

No comments:

Post a Comment