Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Friday, July 2, 2010

MG Interrupted

My accreditation as a Mabuhay Guide officially ended on the same day that President Aquino took his oath of office. That means that a few days before that, I had been working on getting my requirements ready for the application to renew my license as a guide.

I'd have to admire the Department of Tourism's website for having initiated a paperless transaction. However, before one can upload all the requirements needed, a lot of legwork is expected. The rules are simple, really: 1) go to the website, 2) fill out the forms and submit 3) wait for the username and password assigned to be sent via email to be able to send the scanned required documents.

Getting the requirements for application renewal was a task that I completed in 2 days. Thanks to some connections I had made over the years and thanks to planning and foresight. Money, time and effort was dispensed with just to be able to get it over and done with.

To get a Mayor's permit in Manila, one has to submit the following: a health certificate from the Manila City Health Office (P50.00), a Police Clearance (P70.00), Mayor's permit fee (P175.00), a copy of the DOT accreditation. Submit the following to the Business Permit section of the city hall. Releasing is done exactly one week after filing; the fee for the permit is P20.00.

The NBI clearance was fairly easy... I just had to submit my 2x2 photo and last year's personal copy to them yesterday. The fee is P300.00. The NBI clearance was released this morning at no other cost. The chest X-ray which took minutes to do set me back P200.00. I didn't want to go back for it yesterday at 5 p.m. so I picked it up on my way to DOT this morning.

All that accomplished I proceeded to room 206 for my renewal to be completed... It turns out I have to wait until my Mayor's permit is issued. The staff I talked to at the Department of Tourism apparently had not heard about the Mabuhay Guides. Yael, assured me that we had a separate logbook as MGs... hmmmm... no luck there. As of 1 July, 2010, our applications for renewal will be treated as though we are like all the rest. To quote P Noy... "wala'ng wangwang... wala'ng counter-flow..."

It astounds me that after all the hoopla about being a Mabuhay Guide... after all the media exposure... after the press releases and the TV shows... our presence has not been cascaded to the rank and file of the department... I guess only a handful have been informed about us and that handful of people will have to adjust to the changes after Secretary Ace Durano leaves the department.

That mood is reflected in the DOT. Two tarpaulins have been hung in the courtyard to welcome the new Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim... but untill he steps into office and starts to initiate his programs everything is status quo at Kalaw Street. Those with pending applications for renewal may continue guiding duties but have to inform guests should they be asked.

In the meantime, I will have to wait until next Friday, 9 July, 2010 for the release of my Mayor's Permit whch is a pre-requisite to my accreditation. So technically, I'm not accredited until I have succeeded in uploading all my documents to the website...

I just hope I will be missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment