Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Monday, January 12, 2015

THE LEGEND LIVES ON

Christmas 2014 at Grace Park restaurant

It's 2015. I would have made a "bid 2014" goodbye entry but I was just so busy with tours and with the Christmas season in full swing, I just haven't got the time... nor the energy to put into words the the gratitude and happiness of a fabulous 2014.



The month of January 2015 started on  a high note. The 31st of January was the scheduled date of my tour with his excellency Ambassador Forner of Norway with his family and guests and so I ushered in the new year with a brilliant tour and was asked to have another one for some of Norway's parliamentarians after the papal visit. Said tour has been confirmed and scheduled for the 23rd of this month.


However, the promise of a fun-filled year was marred by the sudden loss of mentor and dear friend/mother-figure Susan Calo Medina. Now, you know I hate goodbyes...and this one stings even more because it came without warning. Yes, the legendary queen of travel has bade us all goodbye. I won't be ashamed to admit that I shed some tears at the horrible news.

Christmas re-union 2014
I remember some six years ago, as a hopeful applicant to the Mabuhay Guides training program, we were asked to prepare a ten minute audio-visual presentation on the history of money in the Philippines. Out of 250 applicants who took the qualifying examinations, fifty were shortlisted and each one had a panel interview and the presentation to boot.  

monthly meeting with NCCA chairman Felipe Mendoza de Leon
I came on the appointed date excited and ready and dressed to the nines as an "indio". On the panel were Usec, Edu Jarque, Rose Libongco, Usec. Bengzon, DOT Secretary Ace Durano, and representatives from Rajah Travel, Baron Travel, and other hospitality industry bigwigs... and THE Susan Calo-Medina.

Moi, Brian and Ms Susan
I had met her earlier on while chilling out in PowerPlant Mall with Leslie Noble (who had worked with her previously). Leslie introduced me to her and I remember telling her that I was a big fan of hers; to which she responded by smiling coyly and saying "thank you." I thought nothing of it until I saw her again on that dreaded panel interview.

Ms Susan, Mr. Capistrano and moi
After I made my introductions and started my presentation, I asked the panel if I could show them my AVP which I had saved on my laptop. Mrs Medina said never mind as I couldn't go on a tour with a laptop on hand anyway. I was asked if I was not finicky about travelling to the hinterlands and I said that prior to my application, I had already traveled from north to south and east to west in the Philippines and that it was for this reason that I sent in my application. "So you can travel anywhere... dressed in that?" (referring to my OOTD with a raised eyebrow) to which I replied... "why not? it's Filipino!" (and I bit my lip) She seemed to badger me even more by implying I would not be able to please the guests because I looked to uppity... I said..,. "Try me!"That seemed to go on forever... and then my presentation was cut again with her saying..."OK... in summation..." so I gave a final comprehensive statement that got everyone nodding in approval. I got in!

Black Nazarene traslacion
I have now been guiding for more than six years. I still remember that interview vividly in my mind. However, now Mrs. Medina probably knows that I lied... I was in an Armani plaid tunic and my corchos were actually Italian slippers. I did look Filipino, though... "indio-ish" enough to get away with it... Sorry, Madam Susan!!! 

At the wake,L-R Ronnie Gador, Chito Tayag, Yoyet Tungon, myself and Joy Co
I went on the vigil Mass of the Black Nazarene's traslacion at the Quirino Grandstand (8-Jan) and stayed on until daylight for the annual procession. As expected, the jostling for position along the carriage caused a lot of delays: the rope used to pull the carriage broke and the much touted forklift wheel for the andas gave in so by the time the procession passed by our waiting area it was nearly two o'clock in the afternoon.

Capilla de la Virgen, Sanctuario de San Antonio
That's when I checked my phone to see that I had 4 missed calls and a text message that had the news. Susan Calo Medina had taken her ultimate adventure. She  even picked the perfect travel companion on her journey Home... Goodbye, Ms Susan! Your guidance, your love for country and your discipline will live on....

No comments:

Post a Comment