Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Monday, August 19, 2013

Realizing Giselle


Months ago, I posted a blog on the designs of Giselle. I was in the process of making the costumes for Ballet Philippines' Gala presentation to open the 44th season of the company.


I'm so honored to have been a part of the production. It was not without its trials, however, I feel the difficulties far outweigh the rewards. At first I thought the project was going to be easy-breezy. How difficult could it be to spruce up Badong Bernal's costumes? Little did I know the costumes were in total disrepair...


With Nonoy Froilan's visual peg, I started over in making the costumes from scratch. A few weeks later, some costumes came into realization. They weren't perfect, as some prototypes are expected. But they weren't bad...


With that conceptual direction down pat things got underway. The sourcing of materials, the contracting of suppliers, the scheduling of measurements and fittings had to be done in the span of barely two months. Add to that the constant changes from panicking re-stagers and choreographers and the unsolicited opinion of those who think they know how to make dance costumes were incessant irritants to my usual calm composure.


But come Gala night, the costumes were ready. Up to the very last minute, capes were being sewn and beads were being added to headresses. After all the hardwork Giselle had a successful run this weekend. After the heart aches and disappointments, all's well that ends well. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment