Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

CERVESERIA

Salad with Pecorino cheese, arugula, grapes etc.*
I do not drink! I am allergic to anything with alcohol in it. But what am I to do when friends invite you to a restaurant with a name like this? You just take it is stride and show up for lunch.I was relieved though, that no alcoholic beverages were served with the food. You'll find CERVESERIA at the promenade on Greenbelt 3 right where the nice casual restaurants are.

Papas Bravas*
With a name like CERVESERIA, you would expect it to be a watering hole of sorts, wouldn't you? Yeah, you might. And it is, once the sun starts to set. But their take on Spanish food is quite close as far as authenticity is concerned. The flavors were surprisingly Iberian. I came a little late as I had forgotten about the lunch date so I missed out on the salad greens with Pecorino cheese. Can't give you a review on that one, sorry!

Gambas al Ajillo*
The Gambas al ajillo was superb, though. I love the taste of roasted garlic and the hot, sweetish taste of the pepper that flavored the olive oil it was cooked in. The shrimps were cooked rather well. And they were plump and juicy as they should be.

Calamares Fritos*
The Calamares, a perennial favorite, was crispy on the outside. The batter was light and not the usual oily breading that most of us have gotten accustomed to. They were tender and not rubbery, which means the right amount of temperature and time were used in creating the dish. The dip was creamy and had just the right hint of herbs and lemon juice to flavor it with... no, not your usual mayonnaise dip! I was relieved...

Lechon de Leche*
I thought all the servings were done Tapas style like they do in Spain but the Lechon de leche was a pretty  big serving for four people. The skin was crispy and the meat was tender and succulent as it's supposed to be. I only had to taste a bite of it so i won't over eat. It was delicious and not overpoweringly greasy. Still, i was careful not to over indulge on this one. It was good enough though, so i couldn't pass on this lechon. And there was plenty to spare so we had it doggie-bagged...

Paella Cerveseria*
Their take on Paella wasn't too bad either. They did not scrimp on the saffron nor the seafood in the dish. The rice was well seasoned and well-cooked. and the beans were crisp but not raw. Perfectly balanced flavor and color. What I missed though was the slightly overcooked rice that settles in the bottom of the paellera... TUTONG! I was sort of looking forward to scraping it off with my fork, but hey, the meal was near perfect... why fret?


*photos courtesy of Sarita Jovellanos

No comments:

Post a Comment