Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Baybay's Simple Food


Pako salad
By now, you must have figured out that I've been visiting Baybay, Leyte for a few years now... So in the interest of writing something new about the place, I've found a new slant in the article - the FOOD!

Kilawin'g Tuna
I've been raving about the warmth of the people and the natural beauty of the place but rarely have I written about the food I've been served at that place. How would you like it if, you went to a place and was constantly urged to try whatever the hosts made... from scratch?

Okra salad
None of the snacks, meals, viands and delicacies were complicated to make. Just fresh produce of greens and fruit, fish freshly caught off the sea (some still jumping) and plain herbs and spices that were either made into a dish called kilawin (a local version of ceviche, or derivative thereof), tola or tinola (fish in boiling hot broth flavored with ginger and garlic), or simply pan fried in oil, or grilled in hot coals.

Tinola Tuna panga with malunggay
Whichever way the meals were cooked, every piece was a delicious morsel that had that unmistakable taste of freshness. I tried my best to not gorge myself to indigestion... which was difficult. It was not impossible though, so i limited my carb intake...

Palitaw
However, the desserts were another hard challenge to tackle... it wasn't just sprinkled with sugar... some were made out of glutinous rice or sweet potato. Definitely a calorie-laden variety of sweets! They were yummy, though... so even when I was on my strict diet, I had to give in a few times. Okay, more than a few... so there was no choice but to try little bits of everything...

Turon with Langka
Note to self: Next time bring Carb Trim!

No comments:

Post a Comment