Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day 5 in Coron

On our fifth day in Coron we were planning to see as much of the natural habitat of the sea creatures we were beginning to enjoy so much. We had a great breakfast again to prepare for a long day of swimming and snorkelling. We packed our gear once again and walked towards the pier to meet Neneng and the boatmen. We had to stop by the Tagbanua tourist center to pay for our environment usage tax to go to Barracuda lake which sits on ancestral land.



By half past eight we were loading up to head out to open ocean and make a stop at Beach 91. Again as we were a bit early, we were the only visitors on the stretch of white sand. We relished the fact that we had Beach 91 all to ourelves. Other visitors would come by a little later on but that's fine by us. We can't be alone there forever. I started snapping photos again and snorkelling in its shallow coral reefs to say hello to the fish.



And then lunch came.


After lunch we rested awhile and then we went off to Barracuda Lake. We docked on a bamboo pier and walk-way and Tom and myself walked a few yards off the boat and then climb a few makeshift wooden stairs to the inland lake. I was grateful for the stairs or it would have been my feet ripping those sharp limestone boulders.



Here's a tip! If you plan to visit any of these lakes after reading my blog, you would've been aware that I bring my camera protected by a waterproof waterglove pack, my own mask and snorkel, and my own life vest. Yes, as a precautionary measure all boats for hire in Coron are equipped with life vests. But it is such a comfort knowing you're not floating around in blocks of styropore enclosed in nylon cloth and tied around in herringbone tape ribbons to keep it in place. GET your own professional grade safety-inspected and approved life vest. It's an investment!



Barracuda lake is easily more accessible than Twin Lagoons and Cayangan lake. It's no "walk in the park, though. Off the stair landing that serves as dive-off point is a sheer cliff where shrimp and shell fish cling to and swim around you. Then you realise it's thirty meters deep below that's why the water is so invitingly deep blue. There are rock outcrops which when you get to thinking are really submerged peaks from the limestone rocks. It's a deep pool, some Korean divers had their scuba gear and cameras encased in watertight acrylic cases.


I really should get me a point and shoot that can handle water. My DLSR though protected from sea spray and salt water is far too precious to take photos with. Had I dropped it accidentally, I supposed it would float but I wouldn't risk swimming in 30 meters of water without help from a diver. Eerily beautiful and at the same time marvelously wonderful to behold. I clung to the rough limestone cliff surrounding the lake as I tried to experience the aquatic life in the lake.


Again we stopped by Twin Peaks and visited another dive point. More photos were taken of the fish and the beautiful corral reefs. We stayed for an hour and really enjoyed staying  near the boat in our snorkels. Another mental note, BUY swim fins to get you to spots faster. I was surprised the fish were swimming in a swarm before I realized Neneng had thrown lumps of cooked rice overboard. I don't really recommend feeding the fish as they get used to it and would alter their survival instincts. Eventually, they would learn and they would stop learning how to hunt for their own food. 


From there we went to Siete Pecados. It was a coral shoal with  7 rock outcrops which were surrounded by coral. This was so much fun and very enjoyable if time consuming. The island were surrounded by bouys that were strung together with nylon ropes. One simply needed a snorkel and hold on to the ropes and be able to circle the island. So much God-given beauty surrounded me. I loved every moment of it and was extremely grateful to have experienced it all.




In ten minutes we were at the backdoor entrance of ... ta-daaah... Maquinit! We spent about an hour soothing our soaked bodies in the warm sulfuric pools. It was such a distinct pleasure soothing our sunburned skin. The effect was sleep inducing. Then it was time to head back to the house.


After dinner, we went around looking at the stars enroute to the other hotels in the area. Some  nice accommodations you readers might want to check out are Sofia's Garden, Asia Hotel. For after dinner drinks we went to this almost Medieval looking hotel whose name I could never recall... too bad!



We had to sleep early for an early breakfast and finally for our flight back to Manila on Saturday morning. That was one trip which I nearly didn't make but I'm glad I found the time for. It was simply... PRICELESS!


No comments:

Post a Comment