Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dong's Divine Design

I have know Dong Omaga-Diaz for years. The fact that we don't always see each other hasn't obscured our relationship as friends. Thankfully, there's Facebook! And so from time to time I do get reactions or comments in the photos I post or on whatever status I feel like putting on my page. 


I think the fashion world has all but forgotten me. Not that I have a great reputation as a designer or fashionista. But sometimes I yearn to get invites again to view fashion shows and collections from some designers I have met over the years. So when I saw Dong's posting on Philippine Fashion Week I grabbed the opportunity to angle for an invite. Dong actually included me in his guest list.


I wanted to see the show for two reasons: a) Dong was participating in it, b) it featured the all-but-dying art of embroidery from Taal, Batangas. History buff and tour guide that I am, my interest was piqued by the show's focus. I was thankful Dong actually replied to my comment. 


Dong's accomplishments as a designer have been highlighted many times, the high-point being Dong winning a special award for his collection which was shown in competition in Paris. His prize was a scholarship in Paris for a year. One writer even went as far as comparing his design aesthetics to Elsa Schiaparelli's. 


For this show, Dong is one of many collaborators. His three piece contribution to highlight Taal's embroidery was nonetheless demure and easily wearable. Done in jusi and combined with (was that Jersey?) other fabrics the simplicity of his collection was just divine. Day to night dressing would never be a problem. 


He opens with a Watteau in natural tones the front panel of which was heavily embroidered with the uneven back panel fluttering in soft layers behind. The second piece was a slim pencil skirt in heavy floral embroidery with a close-to-the-body top that had a missing sleeve on the left arm. A big bow accents the top and counterbalances the broken symmetry of the missing sleeve. The third piece is a soft billowy full biased skirt with a simple round necked top and girly cap sleeves. For accent, he belted the piece with clusters of irregular champagne pearls. This is actually the first time I've seen a few pieces of his that don't scream DRAMA! But don't get me wrong, these three pieces didn't recede into oblivion with the other creations.

Until your next fashion show, Dong! 

No comments:

Post a Comment