Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Channeling Martha Stewart in Quiapo

It's amazing what you can find in Villalobos, Hidalgo and Carriedo streets in Quiapo on a Sunday morning. I find, to my surprise, that veggies are cheaper and some commodities are imported brands.

Just last weekend, I bought bunch of parsley and had a laugh when I asked the "tindera" and the conversation went:
ME: Manang, magkano ang parsley?
Manang: Hindi ho parsley yan, Kinchay!
Me: Ah, ok... Magkano isang tali ng kinchay?
Manang: limang piso...
Me: Eh ang chives?
Manang: Sibuyas na mura... Pareho lang
For five pesos a bundle, how can you lose? Same goes for a bundle of chives... Finger chilli costs ten pesos a bunch... Bell pepper costs twenty per bunch..

Surprisingly, I found a vendor that sells butter for a hundred pesos per plastic bag and cream cheese for the same amount. Pepper jack sold for two blocks at fifty pesos. I was hesitant to buy at first as I was warned that the products might be expired. I did purchase a couple of i bags out of curiosity. I tried it when I got home. They weren't rancid at all!

So while I was making lunch the other day, I decided to stuff squash blossoms with pepper Jack cheese. Dredged them in bread crumbs and fried them to a crisp golden brown. It was fresh and filling.

Last night, I was looking for a light snack... I made cream cheese with herbs starting with the parsley I bought. For lunch, I stuffed finger chilli with minced meat and wrapped each stuffed chilli in lumpier wrapper. After lunch today I made another batch of the cream cheese but this time I made it with chives. It makes for a great spread on toast or salty cracker. I have yet to try a multitude of applications for the other veggies that I bought... Maybe I'll make a batch of pasta gusta using the bell pepper that I got for twenty pesos a pop. I'm so looking forward to lunch tomorrow...

2 comments: