Sunset in Coron

Sunset in Coron
Coron, Palawan

Friday, July 15, 2011

Rollie de Leon Wins in Prague

 I have two portraits in watercolor. One hangs in my bedroom. the other adorns the gallery of the living room. Both were created by Rolando de Leon. The portrait in my bedroom captures me languidly sitting on a wooden stool with my feet up and resting on a desk. As I have very few dance photos, this one depicts me in my black unitard and waiting for the next dance class.


     The other portrait that is prominently displayed in the sala of my home along with portraits of my family shows me in a more pensive mood. With my chin resting on my palm, I look pensively into the distance. One would think the painting was an old photo as it was done in stark black watercolor with the white paper providing background and highlights of the entire portrait.


     I just happened to casually mention these two watercolors not to brag, but because I'm so proud that I own two original works and have had both for a few years now. I also want people to know that I'm happy for artist Rollie de Leon who has put the Philippines on the world map once again for his award winning art/design. To quote Bulletin editor Crispina Martinez-Belen; "de Leon recieved the Rainbow Cormorant Award for his winning pavilion represented the iconic  bahay kubo made of bamboos where the three major Philippine regions - Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao - are represented in three major cultural iconographies of the Christian, Muslim and Lumad cultures." And to think that, de Leon's work was the only Asian entry in the competition. 


     Rollie is a good friend whom I have known over the years. He is no stranger to the Philippine art scene. He has done scenographies for resident companies of the Cultural Center of the Philippines such as: Tanghalang Pilipino, Ballet Philippines, and CCP produced shows for many years. Then he moved on to do work for television networks. Eventually he landed with the GMA 7 Kapuso Network which he represented in the competition. There were works from 70 countries on 5 continents and winning the award is a sole distinction for the Philippines. Rollie recieved the award at the Czech National Gallery in Veletrzni Palace  last June 24. 

     My congratulations to Rollie de Leon... my portraits have just appreciated in value... =)

No comments:

Post a Comment